5/08/2007

Team Orange--Internet2 Collaboration Project






TEAM ORANGE Internet2 Collaboration from nickkinling

Time Orange: Erin, Nick and Shih-Yu

Since Erin has said a lot about our project, I will mainly talk about my own reflections here.
Our group project aims at connecting ordinary spaces that are not usually connected. I like this idea because it is kind of creative. We originally planed to connect three ordinary spaces: classroom, elevator, and bathroom together, however it ended up with Nick touring around NYU for us. According to the plan, I would stay in any restroom which has wireless access, Erin would stay in elevator, Nick would record our project and present in classroom, and all these would be done by iChat.

Actually I did go to the women’s restroom between the first and second floor of the education building in order to test the wireless signals, which was a little weak but I think should be adequate for video chatting. I planed to hide where I am at the beginning by framing myself in the edges of the iChat window, and at last surprise the class by showing the place. Or maybe I can interview some ladies coming in and ask them how they think about the project…

Although the final performance came out totally different from our plan, it was still a memorable and interesting one. If we can connect more unexpected spaces in real life to create a new virtual space, we can let people see more and experience more. However I think there are two technical problems: the wireless coverage and the limitation of chatting technologies. So far the wireless coverage in New York is not wide enough I guess. If we can access to wireless everywhere in NY, maybe we can have one site on Brooklyn Bridge and another on Empire State Building.  (Just imagine) For chatting technologies, iChat only allows maximum three way video chatting and skype allows two. ( Is that right? That’s how I remembered) If the technologies enable more than 3 sites connection, that would be more fun!

No comments: